Chris & Pablos Tour The World

Well maybe not the Whole World. Infact just a small part of it. This is the story of two mates who will soon embark on a Motorcycle tour of the English Lake District.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Day Four – Tuesday

The weather forecast promised rain, but other than a little in the night, none was forthcoming. We walked into Keswick via a foot path which took us over a river and pass the edge of a farm.

We stopped along the way to take long exposure photographs of the river. The idea was to blur the moving water to give a surreal calming effect to the pictures. Here are some of our efforts.







Between us we took far too many photos and I was concerned about running out of memory card space.

Once in the town we wandered round the shops, finding an outdoor leisure shop which was having an end of season sale. I was rather taken by a heavily reduced pair of trainer style walking boots. I decided that I didn’t really need them as I have a proper leather pair at home and didn’t really have the space on my bike on the return trip. Paul bought a coat for one of his children.





After a light lunch, eaten by the pitch & put and mini golf coarse, we wandered some more, taking more photos as we went. By now the weather had perked up and become quite hot and sunny. I regretted my earlier decision to wear a fleece and coat at this point.




On our way back to the caravan, we stopped at the Parish church of St. Johns to take yet more photos. The church was open so we were able to take some shots inside as well.



I think this was when I mentioned that I don’t usually get a chance to take so many photos when I’m out with the family. Someone always moans about me constantly stopping to shot. Paul said that there was no danger of that from him. I do believe that he’s getting almost as passionate about photography as me. His camera, a Kodak DX6490, is more flexible and a higher resolution than my Fuji FinePix S5000. After our photo session we headed back up the hill to the caravan.

At 6pm we hopped on our bikes and Paul led me to Ashness bridge about, which is just south of Derwent Water. Unfortunately the clouds had returned and we weren’t sure we’d get very good light for photos.




When we arrived at Ashness bridge there was already another photographer there. He was standing in the middle of the river with his camera mounted on a very serious looking tripod. The three of us chatted about the lack of good light, the pros & cons of digital photography and how we came to be in the lakes taking photos.







Paul and I took various shots of landscapes, the bridge and moving water, but the light never did improve much. Eventually it got too dark to see so we decided to call it a night at about 8pm. The other photographer chose the same time to pack up and the three of us stood chatting for a further 20 minutes in the car park. He was from Dumfries and staying in a caravan near Penrith for a few days. He seemed to know all the best biking roads and recommended a few to us. We never did ask him his name, but he was very friendly.

We travelled back to the camp site via a very twisty back road on the western side of the lake. It was quite slow going as the lights on my bike are quite poor. Back on the A591 through Keswick, Paul overshot the turning for the campsite and as we hadn’t bothered with the radios I didn’t know why. A few miles later he pulled into a lay by. He wanted to take some more light trails. I think he is becoming even more obsessed with photography than me.







He mounted his camera on my pocket tripod and set it on the rear seat of his bike facing up a slight incline. We spent about an hour experimenting. I didn’t bother getting my camera out as my minimum shutter speed is only 2.5 second. Paul’s on the other hand is 16 seconds, which is much more practical for light trails.

By the time we got back to the caravan it was getting quite late. For dinner we had stir fried chicken and super noodles. Simple, but quick, easy and tasty. This was washed down with copious amounts of beer.

Mileage Stats

Today = 25 miles
Total so far = 477 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home